Wednesday, September 7, 2011

New Year, New Season: My hopes are ready to be crushed in the 2011/2012 season.



It's that time again, that's right all our favourite (American) TV shows are about to return to out screens after the long summer hiatus. Filming started a few months ago, so the spoilers are out there, we've started to get the promos so we have an idea about what's going to happen – or at least what the networks want us to think is going to happen. Waiting is at it's worst, because it's so close yet so far, but this is still my favourite time. All that anticipation, all that hope, this is the moment when you can dream that all those things you want to happen will finally appear on the screen.

Before all that reality ruins the fantasy that is happening in the fandom everywhere I thought I would write about what I am looking forward to. Not only is this a bit of fun, but it's educational as well, because I'm sure you're all looking to me to work out what shows are worth returning to (or catching up on) in the new season.


Supernatural (CW – Friday 9pm)



It's not looking good for Castiel. Let's face it, he's probably not going to make it through this walk on the wild side. But I am going to sit transfixed until I find out what happens to our beloved angel. Considering the fact that the entire marketing campaign is based around Castiels fate I'm pretty sure I am not the only one that is awaiting this conclusion. Apparently other things are happening this season, but who really cares? Our baby is in trouble and I want to know how Dean is going to fix him (and I'm not talking about Sammy and his silly wall). This storyline has divided a lot of the fandom so I am curious to see how people react to Cas's inevitable demise (I feel for the writers on this one, no matter what they do someone is going to get mad).

I am not one of those people that is going to complain about the writers choices, or be bitching about it (eg: it's just because Sera Gamble hates Cas). It might be the writer in me but generally ai tend to trust the writers, after all, as much as we might think otherwise, they know the characters better. While Gamble isn't my favourite of the Supernatural writing family, I don't think she is getting rid of Cas as some kind of personal vendetta. They wrote themselves into a hole, and this is one way out of it. It's not the way I would have done it – Castiel falls from heaven and is forced to adjust to human life on the road with Sam and Dean, anyone? But, I have to admit that this storyline is going to give us something we all love – and that is a very sad and very damaged Dean. As much as I want him to be happy I love it even more when he cries that one perfect tear and making him Castiel is one way to achieve that.


Glee (FOX – Tuesday 8pm)



Quinn has pink hair! Sure other things are happening (including a whole bunch of new characters they don't room for) but I think the Quinn thing trumps them all. She's going all punk and I'm pretty sure she blew up a piano, that's pretty awesome under most circumstances but I am hoping this means that the cruel gods of the Gleenirverse have actually given Quinn a decent storyline... and did I mention she has pink hair?

I suppose there are other people there as well that I am kind of interested in. I am super excited to find out if Kurt's new found acceptance of life lasts long enough for his boyfriend to transfer to his disturbing high school. A change that I think is going to be disturbing for Dalton boy Blaine. I mean, don't get me wrong, I want to see Darren Criss in his skivvies just as much as the next guy, but Dalton was this gay dream school – complete with rainbows and no authority figures. You've got to wonder how Blaine is going to react to the slushie filled hallways of William McKinley High School and the less than perfect teaching styles of Will Schuester.

Then there's Brittany and Santana, back on the Cheerios, which means back in the cheerleading outfits. YUM. The problem is I have a feeling that my beloved Brit Brit's bisexuality is going to be silenced, RIB has already threatened a new love interest for Santana (I'm praying it's Quinn – so sue me) which means Brittany is probably going straight side. Oh well, I'm hoping that a jolt of new creativity in the form of the new writers will give Glee the 'new direction' it surely needs.


Vampire Diaries (CW – Thursday 8pm)



Delena is on! If that means nothing to you, then you probably haven't been watching Vampire Diaries. In which case, trust me, it's better then you think. I see you there judging me but I mean it, it's awesome. But anyway, those of you that do watch would know that the above statement is a tad premature. I mean technically Elena is still dating Stefan but he's fricken hungry and having a bit of hoyay with Klaus, so he's not going to be around for a little while. But you know who will be around, Damon, and according to a promo he will be NAKED!

After the whirlwind that was the first 2 seasons I am excited to see what happens next, chances are we will have forgotten about the whole Jeremy seeing dead girls in no time because there will be a whole new bad to worry about.


How I Met Your Mother (CBS – Monday 8pm)



Are we going to find out who the mother is? Well the simple answer is no, because it's been renewed for 3 more seasons, but maybe this all an elaborate ploy to prevent us from knowing that the mother is going to be revealed in the first episode. Then we can just get back to caring about what really matters, whether or not Barney and Robin get married. It's never going to happen, but a girl can dream. The good news is that the whole Barney and Robin thing is much more likely to happen then Ted ever meeting the father of his poor children, who are still sitting there, after 6 years... someone should probably call child services.

I used to love this show, and that was before I even started to think about the interesting gender representations it employs (sorry I'm letting my academic to show through, won't happen again). But over the years I have become disheartened by the lack of information concerning the mother of the title, I am beginning to doubt her very existence. Unfortunately by the time this started to happen I was already too attached to the characters to let go, so come the end of September I will be sitting in front of the computer screaming hit me again CBS. Although the hope of some Barney/Robin action does lift my heart a tad.


Community (NBC – Thursday 8pm)



Best comedy on TV, without a doubt, even my dad laughed at it (if you knew my dad you would know how shocking this was). There are too many reasons that I am excited for this show to write them here. I am just going to jump up and down as a representation of how I feel – but you can't see it so this is kind of awkward. Whatever, just watch it. 


Well thats was a particularly pointless post, but I just can't keep my excitement over new TV inside. What I am hoping is that this will start a kind of dialogue... come on people tell me I'm wrong. No well don't tell me I'm wrong, tell me I'm awesome. I'm fragile. 

What are you excited to see in the new season? What is it that you just want to go away? 

Tell me, I need as much help as I can with the university procrastination.