Thursday, October 11, 2012

Shipping News: Polls and Ho Yay



I know I did one of these the other day, but news has happened and I thought why not share with the lovely people that choose to read my blog – who says I never do anything for you? Well today I brought you a new shipping competition, a femslash slash battle for the ages and masses of ho yay – fangirls love ho yay.

Spoilers for Supernatural (Season 8), Arrow (Season 1) and Chicago Fire (Season 1).


You know how I’m always advocating equal opportunity shipping – I like to ship ladies with ladies just as much as men with men – well the time has finally come to decide which is more popular. I told you about the After Elton and After Ellen polls, and how at the end they indicated they were going to have one final epic battle between the two top pairings… it’s finally happened. Faberry and Sterek are currently battling it to find out which couple is the most popular non-canon same-sex pairing.


I’m not ashamed to admit that I have been up all night deliberating which pairing should get my love… I have no answer yet but I am determined to vote for one even if it breaks me. If you are better at this whole decision making thing then for love of god what are you still doing here, go vote!

Speaking of polls – a couple of columns ago I told you about the Hypable poll that incited the wrath of Swan Queen shippers, well it seems that Hypable is going with the if you can’t beat them join them attitude by holding its own shipping poll (called Battleships = awesome). It’s not restricted by canon or sexuality so it should be interesting. I wonder if Swan Queen will power through to victory because they were the inspiration for the poll, it certainly worked for Sterek.

As many of the comments at Hypable have suggested, I’m not 100% sure that they know what they’ve got themselves into. My guess is they just want to get all the shipper traffic, and fair enough there are a lot of us but you never know how these things are going to go… I would tell you to play nice, but that would be boring so I’ll just sit in the corner screaming fight, fight, fight, fight!

Anyway back in the less violent world of Supernatural – they decided that clearly last week just wasn’t ho yay enough so they upped the anti. There is a reason that pretty much all the fans are loving this season because it’s like ho yay heaven at the moment, and there aren’t even that many Dick jokes.

Last week the writers were like – here have some Wincest, with a lovely brotherly hug and a very jealous Dean (not to mention that mysterious missing time they spent alone in the motel room). This week they’re all like don’t think we forgot you Destiel shippers, here have this scene in purgatory that we pretty much lifted line by line from fan fiction. Also Dean and Cas finally got a hug and it was beautiful.

Also on The CW – they premiered Arrow (the latest superhero offering) and while I’m not totally sold on it just yet, it did offer up some pretty interesting shipping. For starters, who hugs their sister like that? I mean come on CW it’s like you want us to ship incest… and honestly you really don’t have to try so hard (just look at all the people shipping Charlie with her uncle on Revolution). 

This picture has nothing to do with shipping, I just wanted to share it.
If that’s not your cup of tea, then there is of course the obligatory heterosexual romance… except that he slept with her sister who then died so I don’t know how that’s going to work. And don’t worry Slash fans there’s something for you as well because Oliver (aka Green Arrow) has a bodyguard called Diggle that he shared some pretty significant looks with. Ship it, ship it hard!  

If you’re on the look out for a new slash ship then you really have to look no further than Chicago Fire. The pilot is basically a love letter between Matthew Casey (Jesse Spencer) and Kelly Severide (Taylor Kinney). They might pretend they hate each other because of all the issues, but come on no one cares that much about someone that they hate. Also Severide actually rescues Casey from y a burning building… it’s like a Disney movie with fire trucks.


That’s all for not folks, I have to go prepare myself for the return of The Vampire Diaries… my body is so not ready.

So what are your favourite ho yay moments of the week? Do you ship anything from new TV shows? Let me know in the comments.