Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Adventures in Fandom: Joss Whedon joined Twitter and Agent Coulson Lives



I know you all love talking about shipping, it seems to be the reason most of you come here but the more I post the more varied questions and requests I am getting. The problem is that I don’t really have anywhere to put these requests if they don’t directly relate to shipping or Teen Wolf.  Never fear, I have come up with a solution, a new weekly (or let’s face it whenever I feel like writing) post about my non-shipping related adventures in fandom!



It’s a good week to start this too because it’s that time of year when all the US networks work out the Fall TV schedule. It’s bitter sweet because this is when TV shows are cancelled, but it’s also when they get renewed and picked up… and once the initial blood bath is over it’s like the rainbow at the end of the storm. That’s right it’s trailer time.

First things first: Let’s talk comedy and cancelations.

I was disappointed to hear that Go On and Happy Endings would not be returning but the disappointment was kind of overshadowed by the excitement because Community and Parks and Recreation were renewed! While Parks and Recreation wasn’t that shocking I was surprised to see Community get a fifth season. Did anyone see that coming? Maybe NBC finally worked out that it’s really not a good idea to piss off enthusiastic fanbases but whatever happened I’m grateful. Despite the fact that Dan Harmon’s loss was sorely felt this season (it just wasn’t as good) I’m not ready to let go just yet. Plus the Community fandom is one of the best fandoms. Seriously guys, Community fans are amazing and you should be one (#twomoreseasonsandamovie).


Follow the Community cast on Twitter for awesome fun adventures!


I’m not much good at picking which comedies are going to do well fandomwise, because your average sit-com doesn’t usually inspire the kind of excitement and devotion that say Sci-fi does. We really have to wait and see which, if any, new comedies catch the fandoms eye but you never know there might be another community in this years mix.

OMG you guys! The most exciting thing ever happened! The man himself, Joss Whedon, FINALLY joined Twitter!  He’s only been tweeting for about a day it’s already my favourite thing to happen ever. Okay so I might be a little bit biased but Joss was massively influential in my formative years so I’m sorry I can’t quite separate the author-god from reality. One time I was in the same room as him and I cried. Literally. I didn’t even meet him. It was just that he was breathing the same air as me.

(Source)

I know it’s a little crazy but while most of the time I am capable of being both a fangirl and a somewhat rational person there are a few people out there that will turn me into a blubbering mess and Joss Whedon is pretty much at the top of that list. Promise me lonely, if you ever see me in the same vicinity as him, you will get me away so that I can’t make a fool of myself. You have my permission to use force but my panic state is pretty movable so it shouldn’t be that much trouble.

And no I am never going to be over this. Just deal with it.

Speaking of Joss, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was picked up for series! I know shocking right? Okay yeah we already knew that, but it’s still nice to talk about. Plus we now have a trailer! #CoulsonLives


Are you excited? I’m excited. The best thing about this show is that it already has a fandom. It’s part of the wider Marvel fandom which encompasses so much that it would be impossible for me to list but is probably best know for the comics and the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Iron Man 3 is the latest offering). There is also a smaller (but no less enthusiastic) fandom that this show appeals to and that is the Agent Coulson fanbase. This is a fanbase that was so far in denial about their favourtie characters death that they brought him back to life. Then there are the Whedon fans of course; yeah this fandom is going to go off. Let’s just hope that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does well because cancelling is not really an option. 

Right so there are way too many TV shows that I have not actually seen yet for me to actually work out which ones are going to have epic life-changing fandom’s but I will give a shout out to JJ Abrams latest offering (let’s not talk about the fact that he said he didn’t like Star Trek because I can’t even fathom). Anyway, Almost Human has taken over my Tumblr dash. I can see why, it’s got Karl Urban and it’s all about the ethics of AI, definitely worth a look.


Finally there was a massive drama in the Doctor Who fandom after the Series 7 DVD’s, which featured the unaired final episode, were send out a week early in north America. The powers-that-be have asked that everyone refrain from watching or at the very least talking about the episode until it airs on Saturday but as a warning there are spoilers floating around everywhere so if you want to remain untainted be careful.

And that’s all for this week. Let’s see how the adventure progresses shall we.